Monday, May 7, 2012

A Tale of the Tail

So Audrey likes playing kitty cat. I mean ... "likes" is an understatement. She likes playing so much so that several things have resulted in my household from this pretend play. One. I dread when she meows. Two. Saylah won't even play it with her anymore. And three. Isaac is now crawling around on all fours acting like a cat, too. Fabulous.

But what cracks me up every time she plays kitty cat is that she has to have a tail. Which, makes sense, why would you be a tail-less cat? But at any given moment if you glance at her cute little hiney, you might find something sticking from the back of her pants.

For example, she and her cohort in this game, to be secretively named AK ;) were running around the preschool playground just the other day with weeds sticking out of their back ends ... My friend alarmedly asked ... "What is THAT sticking out of Audrey's pants?!?" "A tail." She looked at me so oddly ... her kiddo isn't quite old enough to discover attaching a tail I think.

Well AK is about the only living being who will still play this game with her ... and for that I am eternally grateful. ;)

So here's my cute little 4-year-old daughter, brilliant, passionate and incredibly opinionated about what she'll wear every day. Unless it involves ... a tail. I've seen her as a princess cat, dressed to the nines in a purple Rapunzel dress and a long towel hanging out of the back ... tail, not hair. I've seen her as a chef, with blue apron tied on her and paper (hand made) tail attached to her pants.

The funny thing, like I said, she is really particular about what she wears. Seriously, the other day I swear to you she was crying because her soccer shorts were too long and she didn't want to wear them. I'm pretty sure she took them off and hid them in the playroom before Ben came out to get her ready for her game. But today, a school day, this little diva donned her super cute outfit (which she hated btw) and the only way I could convince her to wear it was because her sister told her she could use the belt as a tail instead of tying it correctly.

You know what? I let her. Sure did. She wore a tail to preschool. And I'm sure when her teachers offered to tie it correctly, most likely thinking Mommy wasn't running on all cylinders this morning, she probably informed them "no thanks, that's my tail."

I so wonder what they thought about that .... You know what? If you can't wear a tail when you're in preschool ... when CAN you wear one?

No comments:

Post a Comment