Thursday, August 16, 2012

In Closing … I’d Like to Thank the Little People


It seems like only yesterday that I wrote about not being the Summertime Super Mom and here we are, only a few short days before the kids go back to school.


As much as I’d like to be Saylah’s cheerleader to encourage her that she wants to go back to school, I get the melancholy and apprehension of starting a new school year. To some extent, my sentiments echo hers. It’s not that I’m not looking forward to the school year routine and hanging up my cape of summer superhero fun maker for the next 9 months. But I’ve kinda grown accustomed to these little creatures roaming my house and I rather like having them around. Well, that is until 7:30 bedtime … then, well, to be frank … I’m done.

All in all, I feel we’ve had an amazing summer and I am totally blessed that I got to spend this fun time with my 6, 4, and 1 year old.


I’ll admit; it started out a little wacky. Ben had a weird work schedule for a bit, then started a new job and has been crazy busy every since. We were supposed to go to Italy but due to said weird work schedule ... that got nixed. My work has taken off (Thank You God), so I’ve been an amazing juggler (if I do say so myself) between working and hanging with the kiddos. As summer progressed, we settled into a groove and have done some pretty fun things.

First, I’d like to brag that I did indeed accomplish my big tasks of having the kids read for 30 minutes every day and we did learn about a new family member every week. I will also admit however, I only got so far as buying the math and science activity books and doing a couple of pages over the summer days. I suppose I’ll have to re-goal that idea for next summer.





Beyond brain enhancement (or at least maintenance), we’ve played games, had a jammie party day with friends, visited with relatives, had a couple of sleepovers, practiced our posh talking during an impromptu tea party, trekked all the way to see Winter the tailless dolphin, indulged in popsicles galore, and enjoyed countless summer camps and water activities. No kid could want for a better summer … and no Mommy either.







Mostly I’ve re-realized how much fun it is to be around my kids. 


It’s not that I thought otherwise, but I do think I wasn’t really focusing on it. My kids inspire me.

In fact, when you stop and look at your kids, I bet they do as well. If you’ve got younger ones like I do, have you ever noticed just how happy they are? Like, I mean, nearly all the time. It’s like a little HappyLand utopia in their world. Sure, they have drama moments; temper fits and boo boos that cause a scene. But as only a kid can do, they cry one moment, pick themselves up, get a kiss from Mom, and are right back to their sun-shiny-state of being. It’s pretty cool.

I’m in awe of their ability to seize the time they have, be IN the moment, and enjoy the heck out of life. I’m sure as the school year begins, contrary to their apprehension, each one of them will make new friends and have even more fun than they did the year prior. I’m excited to watch them as they learn new things, are exposed to new environments, and have more great experiences.


Good luck to everyone as they begin their school year. I’m thinking I will first shed a few sniffles, then I’m going to go home, put Isaac down for a nap, and have myself a cup of coffee in sweet, sweet silence. (Hey, there’s always a silver lining, right?) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment