Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rule Follower

It was brought to my attention when I was about 26 by the woman who was a coordinator in my office that I am a "rule follower." Though she wasn't being ugly about it, I'm pretty sure she did not mean it as a compliment. More so, I had no idea. Up until then I kind of prided myself on appearing the goody-two-shoes type and then shocking people when they discovered my "wild" side. Ahhhh, immaturity at its finest.


It took me a few years and a couple of kids before I realized my coordinator was right. I really AM a rule follower. I'm still not so sure how I feel about that. But it definitely explains my propensity to be a perfectionist.

Well for several years ... me and my naive, rule-following self ... we had this parenting thing down. Make them say "please" via sign language before they could talk, remember her please and thank you's when she could finally speak and always say excuse me before talking (or after tooting).

Those first four years were the best. If I do say so myself, I was internally touting my own accolades on my amazing parenting skills. They were reflected quite nicely through my polite daughter. ;)

My world changed when my oldest turned 4. She's a clever little thing and it wasn't long before I realized I needed to up my game. Sure, I can teach them manners. But, I'm not so sure who is the teacher and who is the student in this social game of life. For instance when she asked a fellow preschooler if she would play with her and she gasp! broke the rule and said "no" -- what's a mom to do!? So, this is where our journey (and my blog) begins.

There are countless blogs about raising polite kids. Even more on what to feed them and how to teach them their ABCs and 123s. But this blog ... well, it's going to be my outlet to speak to parents out there who share the turmoils of trying to teach nice kids, that even though not everyone plays by the rules (or even knows them yet!) how to survive in the social jungle of life.





Welcome along as I learn to socialize by seedlings! Wish me luck and send me prayers! ;)

Here's where you come in. Tell me, what was the first experience you had with a social issue with your child that you weren't sure how to handle it? What did you do?

1 comment: