Thursday, March 8, 2012

Swahili Click

Maybe it’s because he’s my third; or he’s my final; or I’m just a darn good parent, but I tell you what, I have gotten GOOD at this baby interpreting thing.

Six years later I can really tell you what my baby means by something. With Saylah I totally made it up. Totally. With Audrey, I based it off of what I made up with Saylah. But with Isaac, well I’m an interpreting genius!

For instance, when Isaac smacks his lips together … he wants to eat. When he takes his Cheerios and throws them on the floor … he’s all done. And when he curls up his lips and scrunches his nose and eyes together … he’s fake crying. Yeah I said it ... interpreting genius.

But my very very favorite expression that I get from Isaac, one I’ve gotten from him for about 8 months or so is his Swahili tongue click. He is very selective on who he does this to. He started out with just me. Then I noticed he did it at Ben. Then I’ve noticed just a couple of others who have received the coveted click.

Why just today, while waiting at a red light, I heard a little tongue click. I smile at myself, then click back, turn around quickly to see his expression and swoon when his eyes light up and he gives me that knowing look and … click.

My heart melts. It’s Isaac’s way of saying “I love you.”

It doesn’t get much better than this. =)

What does your baby do to tell you how he feels?

No comments:

Post a Comment