Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The "Art" of Family Lodging

Orlando children are spoiled rotten. If you didn't know this, let me enlighten you. First off, everywhere they turn, whether it be Magic Kingdom, the splash park or the grocery store, someone is referring to them as some sort of royalty. I get it at Disney. But when I'm checking out at Target and the cashier asks Audrey, "How are you today princess?" A little smirk comes to my lips and I ponder the small point that kids all over the country are NOT referred to on a daily basis as "prince" or "princess."

But on top of simple pleasantries, Orlando kids get to experience a LOT. Driving in Windermere you can see nightly Disney fireworks, images of Shrek and Donkey smile back at you as you drive the Beach Line, and who's room isn't adorned with at least one Shamu pal?

So when we go to another theme-park event, I often wonder just when my kids will cease to be enthralled by the glitz, glamour and zeal of fantasy and fun. Well, it hasn't happened yet. And Disney raised the bar with its opening of the Art of Animation Resort this last week, so I'm thinking it may be a while. Thank goodness!

We had the awesome opportunity to experience the resort on opening day for a little mini (& much needed) staycation. I was slightly apprehensive because I'd heard the new resort referred to as the Ramada with Disney decor. What a completely unjust analogy!




Greeted by a foyer committed to animation, cast members welcome you to enjoy your story. Your entire stay is themed around the premise of nothing other than, well, the art of animation. With at total of four resorts springing to life, each themed towards a popular Disney movie, we were privileged to stay with Nemo, Crush and their friends at the Finding Nemo portion of the resort.


I'd consider myself well-experienced in Disney hotels ... my favorite perhaps being Boardwalk. And, I've yet to experience a resort quite like this. Unlike Boardwalk, the Grand Floridian or even Wilderness Lodge where guests dowsed in stuffy luxury, Art of Animation welcomes families to be families. Don't get me wrong, luxury is fabulous -- especially for grown ups.

And I think all Disney hotels do great with the amenities and kids. But with three small kids, when we're at a luxury resort, there's an air that simply projects an expected "hush" throughout property. It's not as though the other resorts are overly stuffy, its just that Art of Animation is overly un-stuffy ... families with all their loudness, messiness and excitement can bubble over in rooms fit to accommodate 6 COMFORTABLY and throughout the resort, built to accommodate FUN.


Art of Animation welcomes kids to run, jump, scream, get sticky with ice cream and be kids. Letting them be kids, let's me relax ... a lot. Of all the kid-friendly resorts around town, so far, this is among my favorite, simply because it is truly truly focused on the family.

As a family of five, I was thrilled to storm our suite-style room. I'm tired of sharing a single room with two beds and lodging Isaac's pack 'n play in between. "Tired," not just "over it," but literally tired ... we get NO sleep in those rooms. I treasured the door that separated us from the girls as much as I treasured the ginormous master
bathroom ... that housed Isaac in his pack 'n' play for the night. ;)


A super ingenious kitchen table design transforms into a Murphy bed, the living room couch is of course a pull out bed and everything in the suite is swimming with Nemo and his friends.

The kids loved it, even asking if we could go back to the room to explore it.

As for the property itself, Disney designers chose foliage around property that emulates plants found under the sea -- creating another level of your story; making you part of the sea with Nemo and his friends. Brilliant. The rest of  place was designed for kids in mind.

Not only did the zero-entry pool shore up to the splash pad which sat next to a coral reef playground, but every inch of it felt like we were part of the fun of the sea. Nemo's little school pals splashed Isaac at the splash pad, while jelly fish doused Audrey in the pool afterwards. The coolest part -- seriously -- there is music playing UNDER the water in the pool! So simple, yet so cool.



We can't wait for the Cars resort to open soon. It looks so super cool and I think Isaac will be over the moon about it. Overall, this was one of our best family stays at any of the Disney hotels because of theming, fun and comfort. Next time you're looking to stay in Orlando, you've got to check it out. I give it two fins up!


"Sketch ya later!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment