Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Time Super Mom


I’m not sure if anyone else out there after a week of summer “vacation” (which is an entirely bogus term by the way) has reached some enlightening conclusions, but I sure have.

Number 1. I think I MAY have become a little ‘lax on my discipline during the school year on Saylah. Since she was only home after 3 p.m. each day I didn’t have much inspiration to really get on her about the “basics”. Things like sass, arguing, know-it-all-ness and messiness have all dropped in for a visit this week. I guess it’s time to drop the gauntlet and get back on the behavior train for this one.
Number 2. Three children are doable – very doable – if they go to school at least SOME portion of the day. Otherwise, when all three are home, talking, moving, eating, needing, dressing, messing and wanting at the same time … well, they win. You can find me in the fetal position, sucking my thumb, with a glass of wine next to me every night around 7:30 p.m.

Number 3. Speaking of 7:30 bedtimes, I really don’t care if the sun is still out and my soon-to-be-first-grader has picked up on the fact that they are going to bed while it’s daytime, they are going to bed at 7:30. Reference revelation #2 if you still aren’t sure why.
Number 4. There is STILL no reason to tidy up throughout the day. No matter how many times I clean up, wash tables or sweep floors, five seconds later it’s going to be messy – so I’ll just wait until 7:30 to do all of that. (before I assume fetal position)

Number 5. In seriousness, it's been really fun having them home. Crazy yes, but really neat to watch them play together, interact with one another and try to teach each other new things. Their creativity together is pretty fun. They are really into making forts these days, which is cute because I remember the inclination myself when I was that age.







Number 6. I’m SO glad I invested in those educational activity books. You know the ones you buy from the dollar store? Total. Godsend.

Number 7. Being super mom can probably only happen once every couple of weeks – it takes a lot of energy. For example, today I taught Isaac his colors and counting, played ball with him, tricked him into eating zucchini (actually a feat with all three!), sang him songs and played tickle with him. I painted the girls’ toes and fingers, including mega cool (lol) letter designs on Say’s. I had the girls do 30 minutes of silent reading where I read as well, did math flashcards with Saylah, practiced letter writing with Audrey, taught Saylah fractions (best absorbed using Thin Mints), taught Saylah about volcanoes, made bunny crafts with both girls, watched Japanese news and Christian rock on the iPad with Saylah, practiced Japanese counting with Audrey, and managed to have them clean up their messes. Sounds pretty impressive right? Should I confess now that they also watched at LEAST a cumulative of 4 hours of television?!? See, you can be super mom … but only if you define that role yourself!

Happy Summer Time Everyone! May the force be with you and Good Luck!

P.S. These awesome photos were taken by South 2nd Photography. I love Cassie and how awesome she is as a photographer and with my kids! Check her out if you're in need of great family photos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment