Monday, July 16, 2012

Those Girls Who Aren't Technically Mine


For those of you who don’t know, I take claim to a group of girls who I absolutely adore and would certainly give my right arm too, should they ask. I simply love these eight precious young ladies who’ve touched my heart, and in many cases, opened my eyes. Though they are not technically mine, they certainly have become an important part of my story. 

You see, for the last nine years I’ve had the honor and privilege to serve as a Girl Scout leader to teen girls. Call me a glutton for punishment or an odd bird, but I really enjoy hanging out with teenagers. They are fun, witty, ridiculously intelligent and often push me to the edge of sanity ;). But they are worth it.

It all started back when I was way younger … and way cooler than I am today … for sure. I had this cock-a-may-me notion that if I worked with teen girls in Scouts I could show them by example that cool people could also be a Scout. (Yes I realize this was a stretch calling myself cool, but hey, I can live in my own world if I’d like, thank you very much. ;)) I had been in Girl Scouts through my senior year of high school, and I deeply believe that if it were not for the leadership opportunities and skills I had through this organization, I would not have been able to cultivate the leadership abilities I possess today, nor would I have been able to seek and snag the opportunities I’ve had thus far in my wonderfully fulfilling life.

I’m no dummy. I realize the general teen populace does not consider Girl Scouts cool. Heck, it may surprise you that many adults don’t either. But I think it’s an abomination that peer pressure can steal positive opportunities from you and I wanted to offset that any way I could.

So I set my sights to volunteer with the organization as soon as I moved to Florida. Boy was I flabbergasted when I was asked to be a leader. I seriously thought they would let me volunteer a little here or there but had no clue they would ask me to lead my very own troop. I vividly recall calling my mom on the way home, driving down the 408 in my little maroon RAV4, exclaiming, “MOM! I’m going to be a GIRL SCOUT leader! Yes they are going to let me be a LEADER!” I was so excited and so very proud.


Little did I know that when I started this little “let’s inspire girls” endeavor, that they’d be the ones to inspire me. I’ve learned more about being a teen (a handy skill for the three who will some day become those alien beings in my own home), how to lead people, how to let them lead, and how to earn the respect of others. I’ve learned what it really looks like to stand beside your friends who may not be the most accepted among their peers. I’ve seen these girls protect one another, compensate for each other’s shortcomings and lend a helping hand to a stranger struggling. 

They are the hardest working children I’ve ever known. I’ve had one studying at 11 p.m. in the freezing cold for her next AP Exam instead of snuggling up in her warm and inviting sleeping bag while camping. We’ve had discussions about everything from bullying to books and every silly thing in between. I’m thrilled some have come back from college and want to come visit and participate. Many I’ve known since they were five and I’ve seen them grow from annoying (yes annoying) ‘tweens to tolerable and even enjoyable, young adults. Words cannot express how proud I am to serve as their leader and how honored I am that their parents trust me to influence their lives.

And, when I thought I was going to teach them stuff … well, they’ve simply taught me way more. I can’t get over a teen’s tenacity, dedication and commitment capacity. It’s fun to see them dream of adult life and then even more fun to see them take the steps that will get them there. 


I will say though, sometimes I get the upper hand. I secretly smirk at the times when I remind my teens that hard work and a little discomfort is necessary for success … like the time I was the only one to climb the 50 ft. rock wall and ring the bell. Ding. Ding ladies … can you beat that? ;)

I laugh when I recount the enormous diversity we represent. We’re our own little American melting pot micro-society, comprised of young future leaders who are Christians, Muslims, Jews and those without a faith or denomination. They relate through their differences as band kids, orchestra kids, soccer kids, dance kids and drama kids. Those with affluent economic standings stand beside their peers whose families may be struggling to make ends meet and the topic doesn’t even come into consideration. 6th graders through high school seniors laugh, lovingly tease, and teach each other just what it means to better this world hand in hand. Our only children, sister pairings, and kids with siblings at home equally represent what it means to be and act like a true Girl Scout.


In my nine years (and counting) as a teen leader I’m concerned with how much teens go through today. They are asked by their peers to deal with grown up things way too early. They strive to accomplish way more than we were ever asked to accomplish. They know the world competitive market. And their schedules make my life as a writer, consultant, girl scout leader, mother of three, wife and person training for a marathon … quite frankly, look like rest time on the beach. 


I think it’s important for those of us outside of the teenage storm to be mindful to support our community teens. They need grown ups; parents, teachers, friends, youth ministers and neighbors to look out for them; build them up; and offer moral advice without judgment each and every day.


Nine years later, I’ve grown up enough to know I was never really cool, but that my childlike spirit has been just enough to relate to these girls who’ve allowed me to be a mentor, friend and educator.


To date, I’m proud to say I’ve had three girls graduate from Scouts … two of which who earned their Gold Award (the highest honor a Girl Scout can achieve) and one who received the Young Woman of Distinction Award from our area Council. I’ve had a majority earn their bronze awards and many working toward their silver. We’ve earned badges, served our community, made new friends, kept the old, had way so much fun, and mentored others. But most importantly, these girls represent what it is to love others despite differences and build one another up so that every girl can become the future leader she was meant to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment