Monday, September 24, 2012

Ahoy Matey!


If you missed it, last Wednesday was National Speak Like a Pirate Day. Alas, that’s right me matey, if ya missed it, yer gonna have to walk the plank.

Luckily for us, we did not miss it. Thanks to the fun antics and child-like spirit of my mom.

As circumstance would have it, I had to take the kids to school before she arrived at our house that pirate-y morn. So after dropping Audrey and Saylah off at school, Isaac and I walked into my house and were boisterously greeted by the scurvy pirate MOM and her first canine mate, Charlie. Yep, that’s right, Mom was dressed up in pirate hat and eye patch and lucky Charlie, my parent’s 9-year-old beagle, also adorned an eye patch for the occasion.

Needless to say, I laughed my soon-to-be pirate bootie off at the sight.

Shortly after, I headed off to work and the rest of the day was ship shape as normal. That is, until the little scallywags returned from school. As tale would tell, pirate antics were abound the rest of the afternoon. Unlike most pirates, Pirate Grandma is rather generous. Instead of squandering her fortune, she lavished loot on the kids, including pirate patches and hats (of course), a treasure map, treasure (in the form of chocolate coins) and a whistle. I’m still not sure what a pirate does with a whistle but my crew loved theirs!

When I got home from work I found Pirate Punch in my fridge and three little swashbucklers keyed up on sugar, pirate speak and pure fun! The marker board offered lessons in pirate speak and remnants of eaten gold chocolate coins were strewn about the deck.

Pirate day was more fun than a peg-legged pirate in a sword fight. And I’m certain my bitty buccaneers scored the biggest treasure of all by having a grandma like my mom!



Argh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment